Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sick Days


inertia n. Physics . The tendency of a body to resist acceleration; the tendency of a body at rest to remain at rest or of a body in straight line.

Well that's it exactly, now, isn't it?
Littlest one has been home for three days (3!!) with a virus. Poor thing, she's had a steady diet of chicken noodle soup, sprite, tylenol, and motrin. Her hair looks like an unfortunate felted rag rug---is that how you make dread locks, felt it?
She's well on her way.
But she does feel better today! And I am planning what I will do with my precious free time after I drop her at school tomorrow! At 8:24 a.m.!
Now the inertia definition is not at all about my sick little chicky, of course. It pertains to her mother...I can't seem to get moving on anything but the most minimal benchmarks of what makes us a civilized society. Exercise, (just enough to qualify) check, shower, check, cut and ship fabric, check.
But my energy is divided, or maybe my attention is. So I've yielded to the circumstances. I sit with Littlest One wrapped up in a fleece blanket and brainstorm interesting facts about Australia for her school project. Do you know what bush tucker is? I like that term so much I'm going to try to work it into my future conversations. Or maybe I'll just name one of my pets after it. And we work puzzles and watch a lot (lot, lot) of Suite Life and Witches of Waverly Place. And she has slept a good bit.
Admittedly, I could have been productive during this time, but I stayed put, with the throw around me, surfing thru flickr groups, admiring fun new quilt blocks like these ,and these, and modern pillows with a vintage feel here. And that inspired me to...well, to shop---- for some crochet trim--- because I might one day soon tackle a handmade pillow case, but I'm just kidding myself if I think I'm going to hand crochet the edges. And shopping is one of my favorite parts of craftiness.
Now if you'll excuse me, my daughter has just handed me a comb as she is freshly bathed. I think our sick day is coming to an end.

2 comments:

  1. mmmm, bush tucker. We have a show here called 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' where some (quite z-list) celebs are stranded in the aussie bush and have to undergo various trials to win food. Many involve delicious insects (and worse). You tube it - it's nasty. Then threaten the littlest one with some roo penis for dinner and I'm sure she'll perk right up ;)

    (thanks for that rather lovely link to the huge dresden plate - I'm quite excited about dresden plates right now..as you can tell)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what bush tucker is! And I live in Texas. I would totally eat a kangaroo though. Ok, I probably wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete